[tor-relays] Atlas - location of relay changed

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Sat Dec 10 19:41:00 UTC 2016

Hi Duncan,

Duncan Guthrie:

> On the IRC channel, I was reassured that this was not a bad thing,
> that GeoIP is inaccurate, for example.
>
> However, I am interested in what might have caused the relay to
> change location listing like this?

Just to be clear, this 'location' is hardly an actual location. This
locations are based solely on GeoIP data, that is know to be inaccurate
[1]. There are lot of ASes(ASorgs) that can span across countries. It's
getting even more complicated... But one shouldn't rely on this data as
being 'location' of relay (see e.g. 'Liberian' relay [2]).

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19437
[2]
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/BC630CBBB518BE7E9F4E09712AB0269E9DC7D626
--