[tor-relays] Exit Node Geographical Location

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:34:20 UTC 2016

> On 8 Dec. 2016, at 22:08, Sec INT <sec.int9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> US just has alot of people trying to exit there - so its always busy

Tor clients choose exits at random, based on the ports the exit allows.
They *do not* try to find an exit close to the site they are going to.

> - I find Tor follows the money mostly - high concentration in W.Europe and US but drops sharply anywhere else -

All the tor bandwidth-measuring authorities are also located in either
Western Europe or the US. Relays closer to a bandwidth authority
(lower network latency) are measured faster than those further away.

This is a side-effect of measuring the delay in transmission inside
the relay itself.

> On 9 Dec. 2016, at 06:23, Duncan Guthrie <dguthrie at posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Thus, running relays in Africa and Asia should be a priority right now.

To make this work well, we would need bandwidth authorities in Africa
and Asia. Otherwise, those relays won't be used much.

(We're working on it - I hope!)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n