[tor-relays] Is there a reason for all exit nodes being public?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Dec 8 05:36:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-07 07:20, Rana wrote:
> We will never know the breakdown of the Facebook users by the reason why they use Tor. However, surely many of them are under repressive regimes and do not want their ass kicked for what they write on Facebook. Protecting them is fine purpose and anyhow, Tor has no control over how people use the network and certainly not over why they use it.

I use Tor to access Facebook because it exists, and because I believe
that legitimate use of both hidden services and exit nodes improves the
overall legitimacy of Tor. I believe that if the only use of Tor is
users with something to hide, it becomes easier to justify blocking and
therefore is less effective and less useful overall.

I use Facebook with my real name and real photo because I'm not hiding
anything from anyone in this situation (except perhaps my local
connectivity provider, should I be traveling at the time).

I'm probably a minority in this case, and certainly an anecdote is not
of statistical significance, but that's me.