[tor-relays] Exploiting firmware

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Wed Dec 7 22:10:44 UTC 2016

What I was originally getting at was that the parts of the Raspberry Pi
that are completely proprietary - while there is a free software
implementation of the GPU blob, most people don't use that, as they are
on stock Rasbian, which includes all the nasty "other parts" - are a
great possibility for hijacking, perhaps through malicious code running
on the GPU, which controls the CPU in several ways. The problem with
this isn't that this is unique (Intel computers having so much more
attack surface) but that a flaw in lots of these small computers that
power a portion of the network means that an exploit in them due to lack
of diversity would be much more serious.

The management engine blob is also very serious. One possible mitigation
might be to run the relays in VMs with good isolation, e.g. Xen on
recent hardware which has good IOMMU. This makes it much harder to
exploit the actual software that runs on the ME since the VMs would, in
theory, have no access to hardware.

It should be of concern on any hardware that is being used for related
purposes, I think. However, whether it works out in practice as a
backdoor that is worth exploiting vs other methods is debatable.

Regardless, diversity is good.