[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Wed Dec 7 00:36:15 UTC 2016

On 06/12/16 21:10, SuperSluether wrote:
> I don't know the actual numbers for the Raspberry Pi 1, I was just
> quoting from Duncan:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2016-December/011182.html

I was told this figure by a friend who tried networking "stuff" on a Pi.
>From personal experience also, I have found they are just a bit rubbish,
other than for using a probe for OONI, and for a short time using it to
try out NetBSD and various other operating systems.

My original figure may have been... somewhat off. With different models
they may have updated the network hardware. Certainly on the new ones
they are better, but there are deeper flaws with the Raspberry Pi's
hardware, e.g. the omnipotent GPU blob and various other proprietary
parts that make supporting it non-trivial compared to say, the
BeagleBone Black.

A more general point is that old desktop computers still offer better
performance than a Raspberry Pi. You can easily get one for considerably
less than the cost of a Pi, and there are also issues of network
diversity with the Raspberry Pi - if some flaw was exploited in the
various nasty proprietary bits that make up the Pi, much of the network
might be compromised - due to large similarities across the different
models, this would affect considerable numbers of devices. So using many
different computer models with a large variety of operating systems is
ideal for the network as a whole.

Duncan