[tor-relays] relays with dynamic IP - here Rasp2

pa011 pa011 at web.de
Tue Dec 6 18:25:52 UTC 2016

It is just 1 single Rasp2 - running 2 tor instances on 1 IP, details here https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/tor.git/tree/debian/tor-instance-create.8.txt

> Definitely refutes the previously claimed 1 Mbit/s Tor limit on Raspi, and means that Raspi has nothing to do with the ridiculously low utilization of my relay, just as I thought. As a matter of fact this means that whoever is NOT running a relay on a Raspi  (or two, or four of them) is wasting money, unless he has a computer lying about with nothing better to do.
>
> Also, what's the max memory and CPU utilization on your Raspi (I have read somewhere that Tor is only capable of utilizing 2 of the 4 CPU cores), and what kind of Internet connection do you have?

The Rasp2 is fairly unused, in memory and CPU - running on a German DSL - giving tested max. 7Mbit/s upload

top - 19:15:15 up 47 days,  1:11,  2 users,  load average: 0,37, 0,26, 0,24
Tasks: 118 total,   2 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 10,3 us,  1,9 sy,  0,0 ni, 86,4 id,  0,0 wa,  0,0 hi,  1,4 si,  0,0 st
KiB Mem:    947756 total,   831368 used,   116388 free,   147964 buffers
KiB Swap:   102396 total,        0 used,   102396 free.   426736 cached Mem

>  BTW the $35 Raspi 3 has 33% more CPU power than your Raspi 2 and the same amount of memory.

There is no need for a Rasp3 under given condition - not even the Rasp2 is getting warm :-)