[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:16:30 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: tor-relays [mailto:tor-relays-bounces at lists.torproject.org] On Behalf Of pa011
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 1:24 AM
To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

> I would like to hear about ONE Raspi Tor operator who was allowed by DirAuths (or bwauths or whatever)  to come even near 1 mbit/s bandwidth utilization

let me tell:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/AA44C4BE3C90DCAAC09E5CD26150710AAA80D58B
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/CA9A5D5C4688F04EEC1AF810B0FD348109FA17FB

are sharing the same dynamic IP on a Rasp2 -cut every 24 hours

         day         rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
     ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
     05.12.2016    27,20 GiB |   28,39 GiB |   55,59 GiB |    5,40 Mbit/s

that is slight above 1 Mbit/s  :-)

Best regards

Paul

Wow nice bandwidth you are pushing through Paul! You mean two Raspi 2's sharing an Internet connection, each relaying 27 Gbytes per day at 5.4 Mbit/s on the average?? Total 10.8 Mbit/s?? Or 2.7 Mbit/s each?

Definitely refutes the previously claimed 1 Mbit/s Tor limit on Raspi, and means that Raspi has nothing to do with the ridiculously low utilization of my relay, just as I thought. As a matter of fact this means that whoever is NOT running a relay on a Raspi  (or two, or four of them) is wasting money, unless he has a computer lying about with nothing better to do.

Also, what's the max memory and CPU utilization on your Raspi (I have read somewhere that Tor is only capable of utilizing 2 of the 4 CPU cores), and what kind of Internet connection do you have?

 BTW the $35 Raspi 3 has 33% more CPU power than your Raspi 2 and the same amount of memory.

Rana