[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 09:33:23 UTC 2016

On 4 Dec 2016 9:58 pm, "Rana" <ranaventures at gmail.com> wrote:

That was exactly my point, thank you Anemoi. This is the case all over the
world, not just in Germany. Unfortunately there seems to be a culture of
shooting the messenger here, or accusing him of being “aggressive”,
“accusatory”, “claiming entitlement”  or (my favorite) “lacking programming
skills”, in addition to politely phrased suggestions to ditch my relay and  pay
for a VPS with a fixed IP.

The idea of running a volunteer based network for public good is to use
every possible resource offered by volunteers, and if DirAuth algorithms
need to be adapted for this, such proposal should be taken seriously. I for
one am positive that a huge amount of bandwidth that could have been be
donated, is lost this way.

My understanding is that the DirAuth servers just measure how it would be
for users near them. It seems users from several locations using your relay
would not get more than 14KB/s so it would be very bad to send more people
to your relay as it would make tor unusable for them.

The most likely reason would be that your ISP is lacking good connectivity
to a large part of internet (this happens to a number of not so small ISPs)
but there could be plenty of other reasons.

Still if they see your relay slow, it will be slow for many users too, so
it is a good thing to not send those users, whoever the fault it is.

If this does not make technical sense (which I doubt but I may be wrong),
rephrasing the guidelines and officially saying on the Tor page that
operators behind dynamic IP are only welcome if they run bridges would be
fine – but this isn’t not the case as of now. I hope Tor developers or
whoever runs the Tor project are reading this.