[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 20:57:31 UTC 2016

> On 5 Dec. 2016, at 06:16, Matt Traudt <sirmatt at ksu.edu> wrote:
>
> If you would like to see something change, it would be a good idea to go
> to https://trac.torproject.org, create an account (or use the
> cypherpunks one), and open a ticket stating facts such as
>
> - where you saw that the Tor Project saying they want relays with
> dynamic IPs
> - your reasoning for why teor's 4 bullet points about "advantages to
> resetting when a relay's IP address changes" are not valid
>
> If the Tor Project really said they want relays with dynamic IPs, maybe
> the wording needs to be modified. I imagine, for instance, they might
> have said dynamic IPs are good for bridges.

Also, Rana, perhaps your set would be more valuable to clients as
a bridge than a relay?

But that's a problem for clients when your IP address changes, because
they then lose access to your bridge.

(Unless they ask the bridge authority for your new descriptor. I'm not
sure if that code works the way we want it to - I don't know how often
we test it.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n