[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 14:06:51 UTC 2016

I have been running a relay with dynamic IP for a month now and quite
obviously my relay is severely punished for having a dynamic IP. The IP may
change once in several days (currently running over a week with the same IP
and I just got my Stable flag back again, about 3 weeks after losing it).
The relay's throughput is a tiny fraction (less than 10%) of the actual
capacity which I programmed the torrc file to donate. The capacity I wanted
to donate is less than the uplink speed of my internet connection (the
downlink speed is higher than downlink and is thus irrelevant here).

I started with a consensus rating of 21, which went up to 30 and then after
a couple of IP changes collapsed to 13. It is now 14, and never went above
this again,  with the relay running ALL THE TIME stably for a month minus a
small number of restarts due to IP changes. As I said, stable IP for a week
now and a Stable flag.

1.       Why is the relay with dynamic IP punished? This makes zero sense to
me. IMHO changing an IP once a week and running stably between such changes
is stable enough for all practical purposes. And since the fingerprint of
the relay does not change when the IP is changed, dirauths know that this is
the same stable node.

2.       The "advertised bandwidth" that I see in Atlas has absolutely
nothing to do either with the bandwidth that I advertise (it is 3-4 times
larger than what I see in Atlas) or with the actual data throughput of my
relay (it is 20 times smaller than what I see in Atlas). Can somebody
explain this?