[tor-relays] LLC vis-à-vis Nonprofit

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Sun Dec 4 01:38:23 UTC 2016

On 10/27/2016 05:17 PM, Kenneth Freeman wrote:

> On 10/26/2016 06:58 PM, Nicholas Merrill wrote:
>
>> Hi Kenneth
>>
>> I am with a New York state non-profit organization that runs a number of
>> exits.  I am not a lawyer, but I have surely spent years discussing
>> these and other related issues with many lawyers.
>
> Good to know. Keeps me and my cohorts from reinventing the wheel.
>
>> I could be wrong, but I think LLC was only mentioned as an example of a
>> type of legal entity in that article.  It's not that you couldn't use a
>> classic "C corporation" just the same.   The central point was to have a
>> separate legal entity - a corporation ( even an incorporated association
>> or club might work.)  A non-profit is generally formed as a corporation
>> anyway.
>
> I figured as much, on both counts, but I wanted to nail it down. That a
> Tor exit node is best run under the aegis of some sort of corporate
> set-up is a given; *which* set-up doesn't particularly matter. Is this a
> fair assessment?
>
>> So probably that Idaho nonprofit would be fine.  I'd be happy to talk to
>> them if it's helpful, and/or provide referrals to others.
>
> Much appreciated! Come to think of it, there's another nonprofit venue
> with which I am involved which may be suitable for Tor. Stay tuned.

I have set up a Tor bridge relay at a local artists collective as a
CryptoParty installation. There had been considerable discussion about
liability and FBI raids (child pornography makes for pearl clutching),
and as to whether Tor fits into their artistic mission, but this maker
space now has a didactic test bed.

Once the camel has its nose under the tent flap, the rest of the camel
shall follow, wifi permitting. And given the onslaught of Trump, the
fears of Tor "being deemed political" are moot.