[tor-relays] network diversity with freeBSD

George george at queair.net
Thu Dec 1 23:38:43 UTC 2016

On 12/01/16 18:33, pa011 wrote:

> Am 02.12.2016 um 00:21 schrieb Michael Armbruster:
>> On 2016-12-01 at 23:54, pa011 wrote:
>>> There were some talks about network diversity recently, so I made up my mind and started a freeBSD server.
>>>
>>> On advice from here https://gist.github.com/teor2345/c6e2890c44097fd6aaceeedec08c6431 I placed a line in the torrc file "Log notice file /var/log/tor/log"
>>>
>>> Following these instructions from the TDP:
>>>
>>> "touch /var/log tor && chown _tor:_tor /var/log/tor && chmod 600 /var/log/tor"
>>
>> As others already said, it should be "/var/log/tor" without a space and
>> with a slash.
>>
>> But for me, it looks like you are trying to store the logs in a file
>> "/var/log/tor/log", so in a directory named "/var/log/tor". You should
>> delete the file you created with the touch command and instead use
>> "mkdir /var/log/tor", then change ownership and modify access rights via
>> chmod.
>>
> I thought it is similar to "Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log" in debian where you specify a single file.
> So you Michael say in in freeBSD the torrc file is looking for a folder entry - I will try that tomorrow..
> so it will be
> "sudo mkdir /var/log/tor"
> "sudo chown _tor:_tor /var/log/tor"
> "sudo chmod 600 /var/log/tor"

You are making a directory that even root can't cd into.

By default, FreeBSD's tor and tor-devel port want to store logs inside
/var/log/tor/ regardless of what you put in the /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc
file last I looked.

This is step-by-step just to illustrate what you're actually doing.

mkdir /var/log/tor;

chown _tor:_tor /var/log/tor;

mkdir chmod 700 /var/log/tor;

touch /var/log/tor/tor.log;

chmod 600 /var/log/tor/tor.log;

5F77 765E 40D6 5340 A0F5 3401 4997 FF11 A86F 44E2