[tor-relays] network diversity with freeBSD

Michael Armbruster tor at armbrust.me
Thu Dec 1 23:21:19 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-01 at 23:54, pa011 wrote:
> There were some talks about network diversity recently, so I made up my mind and started a freeBSD server.
>
> On advice from here https://gist.github.com/teor2345/c6e2890c44097fd6aaceeedec08c6431 I placed a line in the torrc file "Log notice file /var/log/tor/log"
>
> Following these instructions from the TDP:
>
> "touch /var/log tor && chown _tor:_tor /var/log/tor && chmod 600 /var/log/tor"

As others already said, it should be "/var/log/tor" without a space and
with a slash.

But for me, it looks like you are trying to store the logs in a file
"/var/log/tor/log", so in a directory named "/var/log/tor". You should
delete the file you created with the touch command and instead use
"mkdir /var/log/tor", then change ownership and modify access rights via
chmod.

> found here: https://torbsd.github.io/fbsd-relays.html I ended up getting this warning:
>
> "[warn] Couldn't open file for 'Log notice file /var/log/tor/log': Permission denied"
>
> Maybe I am to tired today to find the mistake - what is wrong please?
>
> Is there a good instruction elsewhere?
>
> Is it possible to install arm on freeBSD and if so could somebody help me with the implementation please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Best,
Michael