[tor-relays] Useful metrics for relay operators

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 23:36:58 UTC 2016

> On 1 Sep 2016, at 02:51, Alison <macrina at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> I'd like to hear directly from relay operators about what kinds of
> metrics they might like to see involved in a project like this. Have you
> achieved milestones with your relays that you wished Tor Project would
> have given you some recognition for? Have there been specific times
> you'd wished for a checkin email, like the one Roger sent (eg 3 months
> after starting a new relay)? Anything else that you think Onionoo could
> measure that would be valuable for you as an operator?

We already use Onionoo to identify and choose fallback directory mirrors.

Every release, we identify operators of long-term stable relays, and ask them if they are able to be a fallback directory mirror.
Then we choose a slightly different set of fallbacks for each release.
These fallbacks help new clients contact the Tor network when the directory authorities are blocked.

While it's not a t-shirt, it does recognise an important contribution to the network.
And we do hard-code the relay details in the Tor source code.

When we do the 0.2.9 fallback update, I'll make sure I keep others on the Tor team in the loop, so that relay operators know who to contact if I'm away.

(Oh, and please let us know if you're getting *too much* email!)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n