[tor-relays] Useful metrics for relay operators

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Wed Aug 31 21:45:00 UTC 2016

> After Roger's recent checkin emails to this list, some of the folks from
> the community and metrics teams have started to brainstorm ways that we
> could use Onionoo data [1] to give better support and recognition to the
> relay operators. For example, a weekly mail of all the relays that just
> passed the "earned a tshirt" threshold, or some other threshold about
> how much bandwidth they've pushed over a period of time. The community
> team would then contact the operator(s) and congratulate them, thank
> them for their service, see if we can
> offer them help in any other ways, and so forth.
>
> I'd like to hear directly from relay operators about what kinds of
> metrics they might like to see involved in a project like this. Have you
> achieved milestones with your relays that you wished Tor Project would
> have given you some recognition for? Have there been specific times
> you'd wished for a checkin email, like the one Roger sent (eg 3 months
> after starting a new relay)? Anything else that you think Onionoo could
> measure that would be valuable for you as an operator?

It would be nice if atlas would show absolute and relative trending
information about how well a relay (or family) does (better, worse,
unchanged) when it comes to CW and CW fraction.
i.e. with arrow up / down signs with green/red indicators

"This relay's CW fraction increased by xx"

To better interpret this information, it could be put in context with:

"...while the tor network grew by xxx 'cw capacity' "

"This relay's absolute CW value increased by xx"

I find it best to use weekly stats (compare last 7 days vs. the week
before that) to ignore day of the week fluctuations.

For the general health of the tor network I would find it good if relay
operators looking at their relays on atlas get an immediate traffic
light based indicator:

examples:

green: relay runs the latest stable version, has non-empty contactinfo

yellow: empty contactinfo, myfamily misconfiguration, plaintext
protocols only in exit policy

red: runs not recommended version

Or maybe have a rating with letters A, B, C, D, ... instead of a traffic
light based approach.