[tor-relays] Wrong mode on /var/run/tor

Alexander Dietrich alexander at dietrich.cx
Wed Aug 31 07:44:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

I just had a tor instance exit with these error messages:

[warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the
listener ports.
[err] Reading config failed--see warnings above. For usage, try -h.
[warn] Restart failed (config error?). Exiting.

Above that, the log contains an endless stream of these errors:

[warn] Permissions on directory /var/run/tor are too permissive.
[warn] Before Tor can create a control socket in "/var/run/tor/control",
the directory "/var/run/tor" needs to exist, and to be accessible only
by the user and group account that is running Tor.  (On some Unix
systems, anybody who can list a socket can connect to it, so Tor is
being careful.)

When I checked, the /var/run/tor directory had the mode "rwxr-sr-x".
After removing the permissions for "other", tor started without
problems.

Did anyone else see this? I'm using Ubuntu packages from the
deb.torproject.org repository.

Best regards,
Alexander
--