[tor-relays] Cheapest HW to get 20Mbit?

Michael Armbruster tor at armbrust.me
Mon Aug 29 23:44:40 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-30 at 01:40, Joel Cretan wrote:
> Having run a relay on an older RPi with standard Raspbian, I would
> caution you to look carefully at the packages you're using, if you
> choose that hardware. Of course the Tor package itself is woefully out
> of date, so you have to build from source. But it's worse than that.
>
> I noticed that running regular apt-get update && apt-get upgrade was not
> enough to keep openssl up to date. Over a year after Heartbleed had been
> fixed, I noticed that my "up-to-date" version was still vulnerable, not
> to mention all the other bugs discovered there in the last few years. I
> thought maybe I could replace openssl with one of the forks, but was
> unable to find any pre-built packages or even signed source
> distributions with signing keys distributed over TLS. It was a pretty
> bad state of affairs, so I shut that relay down entirely. Maybe it has
> improved since then, but be careful.

You could run Arch Linux on the Pi [1] which should have more up-to-date
packages (if there are any outdated ones at all). If you find one that
is not available for the arm architecture of the Pi, you could always
(try to) compile the package for yourself.

Best,
Michael

[1] https://archlinuxarm.org/