[tor-relays] new relay package for Ubuntu 16.04+

Chad MILLER chad at cornsilk.net
Thu Aug 25 11:41:22 UTC 2016

News: Package is at Tor 0.2.8.7, which was released yesterday.

* Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> [2016-08-25 00:33:14 -0400]:
>Nice idea!
>
>Other people here have very valid points about the security and
>maintability side of things, but I'll add another point: It looks like the
>conservative defaults you mention are a BandwidthRate and BandwithBurst
>of 75 KBytes. That tiny level of rate limiting basically ensures that none
>of these relays will ever get the Fast flag, so they will never be used by
>actual users.

I had that same thought a few days ago. Thank you for the note. That's just
the kind of feedback I wanted.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~privacy-squad/+junk/tor-middle-relay-snap/revision/45

>I wonder if your project would be better at producing bridges?
>https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge
>Especially since you could include obfs4 (or even more!) support as part
>of the bundle.

If you look at the atlas list, you'll see that about 1 out of four are
bridges. At startup, it generates keys, and then uses the fingerprint to
decide whether to volunteer to be a bridge relay for the rest of its life.

Built in are the obfs4 plugins, and also the firewall helper, and nyx/arm.
Your "more!" intrigues me, though. Private mail?

--
Chad Miller
chad.org