[tor-relays] new relay package for Ubuntu 16.04+

Chad MILLER chad at cornsilk.net
Wed Aug 24 13:47:56 UTC 2016

tl;dr: $ sudo apt install snapd; sudo snap install tor-middle-relay

Hi.

Ubuntu has been working on a new kind of software package* that aims for
isolation from the rest of the system, so 1) anyone can create packages for
others without review, 2) security is better, and 3) it can be the basis
for lots of supposedly single-purpose systems like cars, watches, home
security systems, etc. The packages work for desktop and server too.

The upshot is that soon, they hope, many devices will run the miniature
Ubuntu plus the single package that makes the device do what it does to act
like that device. If the mfr doesn't restrict it, we users can add other
things that they never intended to make our device do more. Your
Wifi Router could also be your print server. Why not?

I made a tor-middle-relay package, so the TVs, Wifi Routers, Toasters,
Self-driving Cars, Phones... of the world that are running that new kind of
Ubuntu (or other OS that implements this package system!) can also help the
Tor network.

The code that enables that new package system is already in Ubuntu 16.04
LTS, so even existing desktops and servers can already use it.

So, if you use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, this should get you a Tor relay

$ sudo apt install snapd
$ sudo snap install tor-middle-relay

(The ARMHF architecture has an open bug where the new package security
rejects the "personality" syscall that Tor calls, so ARMHF doesn't work out
of the box right now.)

Once you have it installed, try
$ sudo /snap/bin/tor-middle-relay.configure
to bump up your bandwidth limit over the conservative defaults.

There are a few dozen users already.
https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/UbuntuCore
I'd be happy to have an explosion of devices all over the world.

Please send bug-reports privately, not to this list.

- chad

* https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/
  http://snapcraft.io/

--