[tor-relays] HALP!

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Aug 23 20:41:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:00:57PM +0200, Markus Koch wrote:
> I just deleted my best running exit node to move to another vps.
>
> I copied /etc/tor and /var/lib/tor + keys dir and moved it to the new
> vps. I double-checked the files/keys are the same but i still get a
> new fingerprint. Wtf is wrong with me?

Here's the FAQ entry:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#UpgradeOrMove

It sounds like you did that though.

Sounds like it's time to debug and question your assumptions. :)

For example, were they both Debian systems, using the Tor deb? I am
wondering in particular if the new Tor thinks it should be using that
DataDirectory.

Do the log files give you any hints?

I'm guessing this is the 'niftyguineapig' relay?

--Roger