[tor-relays] Accounting and the 'Stable' flag

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 21:40:43 UTC 2016

> I just want to make sure that... the ISP is not throttling traffic without notification.

Yeah, that's a valid concern. Aside from running through some of the
M-LAB tests (https://www.measurementlab.net/tests/), it can be hard to
predict or detect this.

Another issue that can crop up is poor peering capacity between your
ISP and the rest of the Internet. In particular, in order to get a
good consensus weight, the Tor bandwidth authorities need a good path
to your relay. This can be really hard to measure. I have run into at
least one provider that had great bandwidth when measured with nearby
hosts or localized CDNs, but somewhere in the path to the bandwidth
authorities there was congestion or some other issue preventing good
connectivity.