[tor-relays] relay on a vps not exclusively used for tor?

Tristan supersluether at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 03:50:18 UTC 2016

Honestly I have no idea how provides would enforce that rule anyway for
that very reason. My guess is that it's a technicality, since Tor _can_ but
isn't specifically _designed_ to max CPU usage.

On Aug 21, 2016 10:47 PM, "Green Dream" <greendream848 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Most AUPs ban the use of programs designed to use 100% CPU
>>
>> A well-utilized Tor node will max out CPU...
>
> Mine hasn't. It peaks at about 30%. It can't even hit the 150Mbps limit I
> set.

Let me rephrase it then: a well-utilized Tor node _can_ max out CPU.

I have two guard/middle nodes with maxed out cores. CPU is actually
their bottleneck. They have high consensus weight and get a lot of use
though.

My point was just that if a VPS provider has a policy against software
that maxes out CPU, Tor could cause that condition. Whether or not a
provider would actually enforce this against a Tor node is another
question. I haven't heard of it happening but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯