[tor-relays] Tiny computers (RPi-like) for exit nodes?

Jesse V kernelcorn at riseup.net
Sun Aug 21 15:21:32 UTC 2016

On 08/18/2016 01:50 PM, Michael McConville wrote:
> Michael McConville wrote:
>> Roman Mamedov wrote:
>>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:40:00 -0600
>>> Michael McConville <mmcco at mykolab.com> wrote:
>>> Raspberry Pi 3 should do fine, not to mention some of the more
>>> powerful boards -- there are now up to 8-core, up to 1.7 GHz ones.
>>> Even though the core number won't help you too much, you shouldn't
>>> underestimate what a modern 64-bit ARM can do. Especially if the
>>> task at hand is mere 10 Mbps.
>>
>> I'd be happy to be proven wrong. However, remember that while 10 Mbps
>> doesn't sound like a lot, it can imply 7,000+ open connections. That
>> can stress the kernel and the CPU cache.
>
> I forgot to mention all the crypto required, too. These boards don't
> have crypto accelerators, so that's a big cost.

That is a good point. I don't have any performance numbers on me, but
you should at least compare the specs of the Pi 3, the BeagleBone Black,
and some of the ODroid series to see if any of them can do the job. I've
seen all of those devices put into mission-critical roles, so they may
have a possibility of standing up to the job. If not, a low-end old
laptop will have AES acceleration. Something to consider.

--
Jesse V