[tor-relays] Tiny computers (RPi-like) for exit nodes?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Thu Aug 18 17:23:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:40:00 -0600
Michael McConville <mmcco at mykolab.com> wrote:

> Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > Has anyone had any experience running *exit* nodes on Raspberry
> > Pi-grade hardware, or slightly beefier?  We are thinking of replacing
> > the old, bulky, power-hungry machine currently running exit
> > 78C7C299DB4C4BD119A22B87B57D5AF5F3741A79 with something on that level.
> > It only has to hit 10Mbps.
>
> There's only one way to find out, but I suspect an RPi would be too weak
> for the job. Exits use more CPU because they manage far more TCP/UDP
> connections than a non-exit relay. I've seen significant CPU usage
> (maybe even CPU saturation) on a cheap Intel Core Duo moving about 3-5
> MB/s.

Raspberry Pi 3 should do fine, not to mention some of the more powerful
boards -- there are now up to 8-core, up to 1.7 GHz ones. Even though the core
number won't help you too much, you shouldn't underestimate what a modern
64-bit ARM can do. Especially if the task at hand is mere 10 Mbps.

--
With respect,
Roman