[tor-relays] High speed Tor relay advice

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Mon Aug 15 04:58:58 UTC 2016

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 20:57:13 -0400
George <george at queair.net> wrote:

> > Alternately, run ntpdate via cron every few hours, to avoid running
> > an unnecessary network service. (Recent security issues in ntp remain
> > unpatched in some distributions.)
>
> There's actually a technical problem with running ntpdate periodically.
> NTP works by slowly and carefully adjusting the time, accounting for any
> local gaps without breaking any precise-time requiring daemons or
> functions, like databases.  ntpdate might be used on startup (or with
> ntpd_sync_on_start), but it's deprecated last I read. Tools like rdate
> are not replacements for an ntp daemon on a production system.
>
> You might even notice the tor daemon isn't fond of abrupt time
> adjustments, and will bark in the log about it.

I do the same (ntpdate in crontab) and have never seen any issues with that.
If you run ntpdate often enough (in my case I find every 6 hours suffices)
your computer clock will never have the chance to drift far enough away, so
that the ntpdate adjustment would disrupt anything.

--
With respect,
Roman