[tor-relays] High speed Tor relay advice

George george at queair.net
Mon Aug 15 00:57:13 UTC 2016

On 08/14/16 20:48, teor wrote:

>> On 15 Aug 2016, at 06:54, Green Dream <greendream848 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> - You should install ntp make sure your clock is synced.
>
> Alternately, run ntpdate via cron every few hours, to avoid running
> an unnecessary network service. (Recent security issues in ntp remain
> unpatched in some distributions.)

There's actually a technical problem with running ntpdate periodically.
NTP works by slowly and carefully adjusting the time, accounting for any
local gaps without breaking any precise-time requiring daemons or
functions, like databases.  ntpdate might be used on startup (or with
ntpd_sync_on_start), but it's deprecated last I read. Tools like rdate
are not replacements for an ntp daemon on a production system.

You might even notice the tor daemon isn't fond of abrupt time
adjustments, and will bark in the log about it.

Don't like the standard ntpd?  Try openntpd (.org) which is probably in
your OS's port/pkg system, if not in its base already.  Totally
adequate, secure and small ntpd replacement.

5F77 765E 40D6 5340 A0F5 3401 4997 FF11 A86F 44E2