[tor-relays] 90% of exits vulnerable to TCP off-path attack

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Sun Aug 14 23:17:52 UTC 2016

yeah that paper Spying in the Dark: TCP and Tor Traffic Analysis
was also a very good read. i believe their rate reduction confirmation attack
(as described in section 5.1) is applicable using the TCP challenge ACK
inference side channel to gain the ability to perform injection attacks
which manipulate the congestion management!

an adversary with the ability to passively monitor a given server should be
able to use the rate reduction attack + challenge ACK side channel to discover
the guard relay of a tor connection to the server given enough time and bandwidth.

the challenge ACK side channel can be used to discover TCP connections from the
exit relay to a middle relay. Further the rate reduction attack could be used to confirm if a
given TCP connection to a middle relay belongs to the target Tor circuit.
this process is repeated to collect the rest of the relays in the circuit.

in Off-Path TCP Exploits: Global Rate Limit Considered Dangerous section 4.2
they talk about their TCP 4-tuple inference attack which discovers connections
from a known client to a known server's TCP port. they describe a clever way to
utilize a binary or multi-bin search by parallelizing probes to many different ports and repeatedly
observing side channel messages to confirm a given port range has a connection or not.

this same parallelizing of probes definitely applies here. although our number of probes is much
greater since it's multiplied by a large fraction of the tor relay consensus (exit, middle, guard relays).

david