[tor-relays] High speed Tor relay advice

starlight.2016q3 at binnacle.cx starlight.2016q3 at binnacle.cx
Sun Aug 14 14:33:07 UTC 2016

Suggest running multiple instances of the Tor daemon and
placing them in a single family.  One daemon per physical core
up to perhaps eight.  Only two daemons can be configured for
any two IP addresses so you need at least that many IPs, but
one-IP-per-daemon is ideal.  When deciding how many daemons
to run, take into account any FUP (fair use policy) and/or
true available bandwidth which could be substantially less
than 10G.

You will see better performance if you isolate interrupts to
one or two cores and bind the Tor daemons to other cores,
each with it's own physical core.  If you end up with extra
cores, look into mapping the crypto threads to the spares
though this probably won't make much difference.  Possibly
disable SMT/hyperthreading if you can since virtual cores
give worse latency than what can be achieved with a
one-core/one-thread config.