[tor-relays] experiences with debian tor 0.2.8.6 package from deb.torproject.org

tor relay torrelay3 at mailbox.org
Fri Aug 5 16:27:59 UTC 2016

> > > tor.service is *not* the default service.  tor.service is the collection
> > > of all service instances.
> >

> > Gosh, you are right there is tor at default.service, so you are actually already doing what is being done in RPMs and there is no need to move away /etc/tor/torrc at all :)
> > (why didn't you mention that ;).

Ok, I wrote that before actually trying to disable the default instance via
systemctl disable tor at default

This does not work. I fail to disable tor at default without disabling tor.service.
After a reboot it is back and running.

I noticed that this service is special since it says "static" instead of "enabled" or "disabled" on other services:

systemctl status tor at defaulttor at default.service - Anonymizing overlay network for TCP
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tor at default.service; static)

So there is no way to disable the default instance using systemctl after all?