[tor-relays] Syslog: Kernel TCP: Too many orphaned sockets

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Fri Aug 5 15:40:52 UTC 2016

The exit relay we (Digitalcourage) run gets this warning a lot, but it started only recently. I guess it is related to the DDoS attacks (syn flood) we get lately.

Debian seems to set /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_max_orphans automatically so that up to a quarter of the installed amount of RAM is used for this.
(“Let me remind you again: each orphan eats up to 64K of unswappable memory” – https://serverfault.com/questions/624911/what-does-tcp-too-many-orphaned-sockets-mean)

So 262,144 value in Torservers' config will eat up to 16 GiB. I am not sure if overriding Debian's setting is a good idea. Any advice? Is this warning more than an annoyance?

Cheers,
Christian