[tor-relays] Any security tips on running a TOR relay?

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 01:45:44 UTC 2016

Hey Tristan,

> Any ideas what in-addr.arp is

Yes, this is the standard format for reverse DNS lookups for IPv4 addresses.

I'm not sure what command(s) you were using, but in-addr.arpa is an
expected result (or intermediate step) of doing something like "host
8.8.4.4" on Linux. The IP octets are reversed and appended to the domain
suffix in-addr.arpa (ex: 4.4.8.8.in-addr.arpa for 8.8.4.4) to create a
hostname. Then to continue the same example, the host tool finds a PTR
record for that hostname (ex: google-public-dns-b.google.com). You can read
more about this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2317

So... those in-addr.arpa references don't really tell you anything. It's
just a distraction. My hunch is that the IP addresses in your log are going
to be a random selection of IPv4 addresses from Tor clients and relays.

> why the firewall would block it even on allowed ports?

I was trying to explain earlier but did a poor job. I don't have a specific
explanation for Tor, but it's common to see the same behavior with denied
packets to port 80 and 443 on a web server, even when there is a UFW
(iptables) allow rule. It has to do with the state of the connection.
There's an explanation for web servers and port 80 blocks here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2138691 (see the 2nd post)

I am making an assumption that we're seeing the same behavior on the Tor
ports. It would be good if someone with a better understanding of the
protocols could confirm or deny the theory. I'm not 100% certain.