[tor-relays] Exit relay funding

Petrusko petrusko at riseup.net
Thu Aug 4 07:10:08 UTC 2016

And I think a lot of users doesn't know what is there "behind". As
always in computer's world...

Now I'm able to explain quickly (what I've understood) this network to
some friends/family, who were using Tor a long time ago before I've
started to have fun with contributing a little to the network.

How many people around us know how 'it's working", how many are thinking
about that, are interested to know ?
They are connecting the smartphone to Mc Do's wifi, and are happy to
read Facebook... receive emails... etc. But how it's possible to make it
work ? They don't care about that, /"it's working and it's cool !"/
They don't know what is a NAS at their work, what is an IP, what is
domain with AD, why those IT guys are sooo boring with those passwords
(they don't love our pet's name as password... rah!!).
Now my friends/family have quickly understood how "normal people" can
contribute to Tor, but I'm sure some months after /"it's working and
it's cool !"/. Nothing more.
And I think a lot of "little" operators like me are doing this by loving
computer's world (linux, network, dev,...), having fun to investigate
why it's not working nice, or try to make it better, and of course
understand the need to have an "underground" network for all the reasons
we know.
It's cool to contribute, and if it can help censored people, and if it's
better for privacy to the others, it's beautiful !

The day I'll not be able to have some time/money to make nodes working,
I'll sadly "poweroff" them, and thank all people (devs, operators,
mailing lists...) for their work, to have this package working easily
with this support !
apt-get install tor - nano torrc (bridge/relay/exit to contribute)-
service tor restart - it's working. Nice? If it's not working, the
community is here. Nice!
Thanks.

--
Petrusko