[tor-relays] experiences with debian tor 0.2.8.6 package from deb.torproject.org

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 21:04:17 UTC 2016

> When upgrading, all running tor instances are stopped (not restarted, as
expected)

> syslog shows:

> Interrupt: we have stopped accepting new connections, and will shut down
in 30 seconds. Interrupt again to exit now.

> Clean shutdown finished. Exiting.

> (problem is reproducible)

I just had the same experience upgrading my relays, but I think this is to
be expected? New connections are blocked and there's 30 seconds to give
existing connections a chance to gracefully complete. The daemon is then
stopped while the packages upgrade, then it's restarted. I think it's been
handled like that for a while, although my memory is a little fuzzy since I
hadn't upgraded in the last 6 months.