[tor-relays] Exit relay funding

tor at as250.net tor at as250.net
Wed Aug 3 13:29:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 14:31:34 +0200
Andreas Krey <a.krey at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 13:40:03 +0000, tor at as250.net wrote:
> > our support. Just to make it clear: "appreciate" in this context
> > doesn't mean funding. All those years we didn't get as much as a
> > "thank you!" from anyone.
>
> Operating tor nodes is - like operating any
> invisible infrastructure - inherently thankless.

Absolutely. Most of the infrastructure we provide on that basis and it
is ok! The reason for running that exit node was that we believed it
would contribute towards a positive impact in many peoples lives.

The "appreciation" part was rather directed to those individuals who
know me/us personally and only to them. You know who you are.
No bad feelings though! :-)

> > How's that for a "change in strategy"?
>
> Well, sad. So long, and thanks for the exit bandwith past.

It surely was a fun time. Including the abuse-report handling.

In the end however, it is no longer appropriate for us to
contribute to the Tor Project so we decided that we have no
reasonable choice left, but to discontinue the service.

Cheers.