[tor-relays] "support team" address?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Apr 30 23:41:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 02:51:27PM +0000, eliaz wrote:
> I'm having crashes when restarting tor. I get the error message "Tor
> unexpectedly exited.... Send a copy of Your Tor Log to the support
> team." So, what's the address?

We have alas stopped operating the support team, since we didn't have
funding to keep it going, and it was being overwhelmed by users who wanted
the same things over and over. We've instead been focusing on cleaning
up our documentation, improving user experience, etc in hopes that in
the future we'll have fewer users who think contacting the support desk
is the right first move.

I've opened https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/18939
so we can confuse fewer users with that phrase.

In your case, my guess is that you added something to your torrc file,
which caused your Tor to fail when it restarted it. Tor Browser isn't
really meant to be used along with the phrase "when restarting Tor",
so I'm afraid you are in expert territory. :)

Also, Tor Browser isn't a relay by default, and it's a poor way to operate
a relay. You'll do much better with a Tor package like the debian package:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian

And lastly,
https://www.torproject.org/about/contact#support
has some suggestions for how to find help.

--Roger