[tor-relays] MaxMemInQueues is set to 256 MB

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 23:47:15 UTC 2016

> On 28 Apr 2016, at 07:43, pa011 <pa011 at web.de> wrote:
>
> One of my small servers is running on Debian8 for weeks now.
>
> The memory is 256MB only.
>
> Arm is showing  (Linux 3.16.0-4-a...)   Tor 0.2.7.6 (recommended)
> cpu: 20.0% tor, 5.7% arm   mem: 136 MB (56.5%) pid: 560
>
> while some 20-40 Mbit/s are running through.
>
> The relay is connected to some 100Mbits/s.
>
> Could somebody please explain what is the maximum throughput I could
> possibly reach with "MaxMemInQueues is set to 256 MB" ?

It really depends on your kernel and networking hardware.

> I guess it does not make sense to change the MaxMemInQueues while memory
> is only 256MB?

You can reduce the number of other processes running, and increase MaxMemInQueues to somewhat less than 256MB - Tor needs other memory, and so does your kernel, and so do other processes. Using swap for Tor may slow things down more.

> If in case I cant use the whole 100Mbit/s - what would be the minimum
> requirement in memory I would need as the CPU is just working on a 20
> percent level?

We typically recommend 512MB, but your experience may vary depending on your exact CPU, distribution, background processes, etc.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B