[tor-relays] I am failing with newbie stuff :((((

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:11:54 UTC 2016

> On 20 Apr 2016, at 22:35, Markus Koch <niftybunny at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> hi there,
>
> just got 3 new didiservers and would like to move my old tor nodes
> over to the brand new hardware. I am running the latest Debian
> version. I copied /etc/tor/* and /var/lib/tor/* to the new servers. I
> thought this should do the trick that I get the same key etc and Tor
> will think this is my old node but with a new IP? It doesnt, whats my
> mistake?

Has tor created new keys?
If so, it's likely you failed to copy the key file(s) due to ownership or permission issues on the source or destination.

Does tor start as a client?
If so, it's likely that you failed to copy the torrc file.

Does tor fail to start?
If so, it helps to let us know the warning messages it prints out.
Perhaps the files were corrupted on the way, or something else happened.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B