[tor-relays] Using your own Relay as Entry Node

Fr33d0m4all fr33d0m4all at riseup.net
Fri Apr 15 13:59:51 UTC 2016

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:54:33 +0200
> From: Michael Armbruster <tor at armbrust.me>
> To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
> Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Using your own Relay as Entry Node (Yawning
>    Angel)
>
> Hi Fr33d0m4All,
>
> In my opinion, you could use your own tor relay as an entry node,
> although you should think about it this way, too: Browsing through the
> tor network usually establishes a route through 3 nodes from your side.
> Always going through your own relay as an entry node means, only two of
> the three nodes are changing each time you establish a new route to a
> server.
>
> In my opinion, you are just moving the "trusted entry node" problem to a
> "trusted middle node" problem, although traffic will be more obfuscated
> for the middle node because other users could use it over your relay as
> well.

A think that a bad middle node is not really a big problem, compared to a bad entry or exit node... Furthermore by having at least a fixed trusted node, your own (unless someone compromises it..), you are sure that you don't have any bad circuit, i.e. 3 bad ORs. Then I agree that a list of trusted entry nodes can be better than a single entry node.. But I wait for some comments by people that know the whole picture better than me, which I'm still in the learning process.

Thank you very much for your opinion!
   Fr33d0m4All