[tor-relays] Using your own Relay as Entry Node (Yawning Angel)

fr33d0m4all fr33d0m4all at riseup.net
Fri Apr 15 09:46:12 UTC 2016

> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 22:24:30 +0000
> From: Yawning Angel <yawning at schwanenlied.me>
> To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
> Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Using your own Relay as Entry Node
>
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:38:15 +0000
> fr33d0m4all <fr33d0m4all at riseup.net> wrote:
>> And about using it as a SOCKS proxy to enter the Tor network? Do the
>> same considerations apply or is it even worse to use a relay as a
>> SOCKS proxy?
>
> This is horrible and should *NEVER* be done, assuming any network not
> physically controlled by you is between you and the SOCKS proxy
> server[0], simply based on the request (and authentication if you
> chose to use such things) being in the clear.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Yawning Angel
>
> [0]: So, SOCKS over an internal network to a VM/magical anonymity box
> may be ok (depending on your threat model).  SOCKS to a VPS somewhere
> is essentially always a bad idea.

Hi Yawning,
I perfectly understand your point... I'm using it as a SOCSK proxy only
within my own LAN, which is only used by me. If I ever need to reach it
from the outside I would do it by tunnelink the SOCKS connection within
an SSH connection to my LAN. But I'm far more interested in what you
think about using your own Tor relay as Entry Node, which I think should
decrease the risks because it is for sure a not-bad Entry Node.

What do you think about this point?

Thank you for the answers.

    Fr33d0m4All