[tor-relays] First (positive) experiences with a Tor Relay on Raspberry Pi3

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sun Apr 10 23:28:29 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 21:48:06 +0000
fr33d0m4all <fr33d0m4all at riseup.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Thank you very much Yawning for the news, I didn't know about that!
> I'm running stable 0.2.7.6 from the Jessie repo, I hope the new
> ARMv8-AES-enabled version will be out "soon" in the repo (but I don't
> think it will happen soon, at least for the stable branch, right?)

0.2.8.x will be in a stable repo shortly.  However as far as I know, we
do not separately build OpenSSL packages (and the 1.1.0 series is still
in pre-release state), so you will either need to be patient, or wait
the 15 years it takes for Debian to update anything[0].

> BTW, I can't offer more than 14 Mbps, which are about 75% of my upload
> BW, so I can live for a while without AES acceleration :)

Well, crypto being more efficient would reduce load on the box and
lessen the likelyhood of it catching fire. :P

Realistically I'd wait till there at least is a formal OpenSSL 1.1.0
release before using it for more than testing.  But I figured it would
be good to note that the RasPi3 will benefit.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel

[0]: Obvious hyperbole is obvious.