[tor-relays] First (positive) experiences with a Tor Relay on Raspberry Pi3

Tom Jorquera tom at jorquera.net
Sun Apr 10 21:01:21 UTC 2016

On 10/04/2016 20:28, Yawning Angel wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:52:20 +0000
> fr33d0m4all <fr33d0m4all at riseup.net> wrote:
>> I've just moved my Tor relay installation from my alix1.c embedded
>> system (500Mhz CPU with 256Mb ram) which was able to offer only 4Mbps
>> (100% CPU utilization) to a new Raspberry Pi3 (quad-core 1.2Ghz 64-bit
>> cpu with 1 GB ram). Some days ago I've seen some messages on the ML
>> about Pi2 performance (if I remember well) and I'd like to share my
>> first experiences with Pi3. I have only 20Mbps connection in the
>> uplink direction, so I'm offering about 15Mbps for Tor relay and I've
>> just seen that it is able to offer 14Mbps with 40% of a single core
>> utilization.. In conclusion, I think that a single relay on Pi3 can
>> offer about 30-40 Mbps, and if you run 4 tor relays on the same Pi3
>> you can offer more than 100Mbps which is definitely not bad for such a
>> small system. The only drawback is that you need to find a good way
>> for keeping it cold, since after 1 hour of 1 core at 100% I've reached
>> about 70°C with heatsinks on the CPU.
> If you build tor against OpenSSL 1.1 on that target you will get a
> massive increase in performance due to support for the ARMv8 hardware
> AES acceleration.
>
> This requires 0.2.8.x from the maint-028 branch (or master if you're
> brave) since I recently fixed tor (again) to compile with this version
> of the library, but the changes will be in the next 0.2.8 release
> candidate.
>
> Regards,

To follow up on your experience

I am currently running a relay from a rasp3 with a bandwidth limit of 24
Mb/s.

I am using the tor package from raspbian (Tor 0.2.5.12).

arm currently gives me the following informations:
cpu: usually between 20.0% and 40%
mem: 160 MB (17.3%)
for a current average down and up of 35.3 Mb/sec and 36.1 Mb/sec (due to
my high burst rating I suppose)

The 15 mins load average of the raspy (which mostly runs tor) is 0.38.
It may be biased by me running arm, which seems rather CPU intensive, to
look things up for a while.

I am not monitoring the temperature. The CPU seems a little hot to the
touch, but not overly so. The rasp has an uptime of 14 days.

All in all it seems to handle the load rather well!

Regards,