[tor-relays] First (positive) experiences with a Tor Relay on Raspberry Pi3

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sun Apr 10 18:28:30 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:52:20 +0000
fr33d0m4all <fr33d0m4all at riseup.net> wrote:
> I've just moved my Tor relay installation from my alix1.c embedded
> system (500Mhz CPU with 256Mb ram) which was able to offer only 4Mbps
> (100% CPU utilization) to a new Raspberry Pi3 (quad-core 1.2Ghz 64-bit
> cpu with 1 GB ram). Some days ago I've seen some messages on the ML
> about Pi2 performance (if I remember well) and I'd like to share my
> first experiences with Pi3. I have only 20Mbps connection in the
> uplink direction, so I'm offering about 15Mbps for Tor relay and I've
> just seen that it is able to offer 14Mbps with 40% of a single core
> utilization.. In conclusion, I think that a single relay on Pi3 can
> offer about 30-40 Mbps, and if you run 4 tor relays on the same Pi3
> you can offer more than 100Mbps which is definitely not bad for such a
> small system. The only drawback is that you need to find a good way
> for keeping it cold, since after 1 hour of 1 core at 100% I've reached
> about 70°C with heatsinks on the CPU.

If you build tor against OpenSSL 1.1 on that target you will get a
massive increase in performance due to support for the ARMv8 hardware
AES acceleration.

This requires 0.2.8.x from the maint-028 branch (or master if you're
brave) since I recently fixed tor (again) to compile with this version
of the library, but the changes will be in the next 0.2.8 release
candidate.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel