[tor-relays] Private Tor Research Network

Nicholas R. Parker (RIT Student) nrp7859 at rit.edu
Fri Apr 8 18:21:34 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've got an issue that I'm seeking help with. I'm with a small group out of
RIT that's trying to construct a private TOR network for research purposes,
but we've hit a bit of a snag.

I've worked with both liu fengyun's (
http://liufengyun.chaos-lab.com/prog/2015/01/09/private-tor-network.html)
and Ritter's write up (https://ritter.vg/blog-run_your_own_tor_network.html),
but when trying to set up authority directories the whole thing really
falls apart.

Trying to edit the torrc file gives errors where it doesn't attempt to bind
to the correct ports and trying to set --dirserver or --datadirectory
results in errors that there isn't permission to access /var/lib/tor
regardless of the owner of the directory (we've tried leaving it as being
owned by _tor, tried changing ownership to root, etc) so we can't get the
authority directories off the ground.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts

Nicholas R. Parker
Rochester Institute of Technology