[tor-relays] NPR story: When A Dark Web Volunteer Gets Raided By The Police

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 23:42:20 UTC 2016

> Of course, but what would they make of it? They might have 200
> perfectly legitimate Tor nodes already, making a blacklist
> absolutely useless.

So we should do nothing? This logic makes little sense. The directory
authorities already have blacklist capabilities, and add known malicious
relays to it as the need arises [1]. Sniffing traffic on an exit is a good
enough reason to blacklist a node, as far as I can tell. So if we did know
of government running or monitoring exits for this purpose, it would be
sufficient reason to blacklist. This particular case is perhaps not so
clear cut but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea of blacklisting.

1) The blacklist used to be published here
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/badRelays but it's
apparently no longer published.