[tor-relays] Guard flag?

Michael Armbruster tor at armbrust.me
Thu Apr 7 18:21:55 UTC 2016

> While I don't have any actual numbers, I'm pretty sure you won't be
> getting a guard flag with that kind of speed. Actually, I don't think
> you'll get much traffic at all with that slow of a relay, especially
> since the recommended upload speed is 2Mbps (1600kBytes/s).

No, 2Mbps are 250KBps, 2 Megabit = 250 Kilobyte (as 8 Megabit are 1
Megabyte).
Recommended minimum upload speed to run a relay is 100Kilobyte/s, so
1Mbps is already enough to run a relay. [1]

To be a relay, your bandwidth has to be at least 250KB/s. [2]

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay#comment-34637
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2140