[tor-relays] IP and SWIP for a Tor exit node

starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx
Sun Sep 27 18:53:54 UTC 2015

>> (2) SWIP/RWHOIS + ARIN/RIPE
>>
>> SWIP'ing is a bit exotic though some ISPs provide it.
>> Be sure to use a PO box in the contact info rather than
>> your real address if you obtain this.
>
>This would be for privacy reasons, right? i.e. to avoid
>advertising my own address?

yes

>What if I put there my university address?
>(I am a PhD there and we can receive mail. . .

Sure, that would work perfectly.

>> Looked at Aruba offerings, check this out
>>
>> https://serverdedicati.aruba.it/server-dedicati/basic-1-3.aspx
>>
>Thanks very much for the advice. I will start
>with the small VPS one, see how Aruba behaves
>in terms of handling complaints and abuse
>reports and if all goes well I will consider
>the option above.

If you do, try to find out exactly what
CPU it will have and whether you can
choose if more than one type exists;
check them against this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Atom_microprocessors

Several newer Atom CPUs have AES-NI instruction
support.  With AES-NI a 1.6 GHz will "punch
above its weight" as a Tor relay.  AES supports
increases performance for Tor relays by about
2.5 times clock-cycle-for-clock-cycle.

>Thank you for taking the time of looking into it.

Your are welcome, good luck!