[tor-relays] IP and SWIP for a Tor exit node

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 10:06:47 UTC 2015

Hi,

> (1) In the guide it is advised to "Get a separate IP for the node. . .
>
> You have the right idea.  Tor-exit node IPs end up on all
> sorts of black-lists and it's best to segregate exit traffic
> from all other traffic.

[...]

>    http://multirbl.valli.org
>    http://www.abuseat.org/

Thanks for the pointers, I do not know how to find exit nodes IPs from
the first link but I could find some from
<https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/> and, indeed, some of them are
blacklisted.

> (2) SWIP/RWHOIS + ARIN/RIPE
>
> SWIP'ing is a bit exotic though some ISPs provide it.
> Be sure to use a PO box in the contact info rather than
> your real address if you obtain this.

This would be for privacy reasons, right? i.e. to avoid advertising my
own address?
Now, a PO box in Italy (at Poste Italiane, the former national(ised)
post service and now privatised) cost a whopping 100 euro/year[1],
which would be more than what I am currently planning on spending on
the node!

What if I put there my university address? (I am a PhD there and we
can receive mail, besides, if you look up my name on the internet it
would take you very little to find my University address).

> What happens is
> that the handful of IP addresses assigned to your server
> get their own WHOIS sub-record listed first before the
> ISP address-block record.  Has the advantage many abuse
> complaints will go directly to you instead of first to
> the ISP.  At one time some residential ISPs SWIP'ed
> their customers by default, but this produced all kinds
> of problems and complaints so the practice is gone.
>
> Not necessary if you can manage a constructive dialog with
> the abuse department of the ISP.  Start with an email to the
> address that
>
>    http://www.abusix.org/

> lists for the IP and ask them what procedures they might
> have where you can have abuse reports forwarded directly to
> you and/or have the IP noted as a Tor Exit / VPN / Proxy in
> whatever system they have for handling abuse reports.

Thanks, I will do that. This is a very useful advice.

Cristian

[1] http://www.poste.it/postali/personalizzata/caselle.shtml