[tor-relays] Legal status of operating Tor exit in UK?

Jonathan Baker-Bates jonathan at bakerbates.com
Wed Sep 23 17:02:54 UTC 2015

I forgot to thank those on the list who replied to this thread. They have
been very helpful.

For the benefit of anyone else in a similar position:

My ISP (after consulting with LINX) has conceded that the legality of
monitoring the exit is unclear. They have now asked if I would be willing
to block port 80 on my exit, or have them monitor my traffic instead in
their capacity as a commercial operator. I've reluctantly opted for the
former.

Meanwhile, members may be interested to hear what the owner of the ISP had
to say about Tor. I thought I'd put it here as a footnote to this thread by
way of an example of the range of opinion in the technical community. I
have no strong opinion on the matter.

"I'm still not convinced that ToR isn't just an incredibly clever
US government scheme where the US government stealthily operate a
majority of the ToR (exit and intermediate) nodes, leading themselves
to be able to anonymously inspect / MITM traffic from any exit node
they operate, as well as correlate flows between non exit nodes to be
able to find the original source of a flow."

Jonathan