[tor-relays] Deciding where to put new Tor relays

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Tue Sep 22 14:05:02 UTC 2015

> Do you know how APNIC/RIPE produces the “high-quality BGP-peering graphs
for the entire Internet”? I know that RIPE has been building a pretty large
Internet measurement platform called Atlas [3]. I wonder if they are using
some of that data.

In short, I don't know this 100%.  However, this data is routinely used by
network engineers around the world to diagnose routing and other problems.
I make the presumption that if the data was wildly inaccurate, the
collective funding of RIPE/ARIN/APNIC/etc would necessitate the creation of
a better data-stream.

I then make the second leap that, "If it's good enough to be useful  to the
network engineers, it's good enough for Tor incentivization."

I asked the author of vizAS, Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>, about the
details of the data.  Here's what he said:
The connections in vizAS are the BGP neighbour relationships which are
visible in the PATH attribute at the Route Views BGP collector in Oregon.
This means that (a) it's not a complete set of peering relationships, as
BGP hides information as routes are propagated, and (b) it's only as good
as the behaviour of all the routers involved, that is, if a router chooses
to lie about its PATH, vizAS will just accept that as truth.  As far as I
know, most routers don't lie about their PATH, but BGP still only reveals
the best paths (for each router's own definition of 'best' to that point)
from each ASN, not all of them.

The source data is available from Route Views here:
http://archive.routeviews.org/bgpdata/ in MRT format.  I use the APNIC fork
of a Java MRT parsing library to go from MRT dump to text paths (
https://github.com/APNIC-net/java-mrt) and then a simple perl script to
convert from that format to a JSON adjacency graph.

Right now, it's unclear to me exactly which attacks we wish to mitigate,
and someone would concretely articulate which attacks we wish high
diversity to harden the Tor network against, that would be immensely
helpful in deciding which data to we should leverage.  But without knowing
what precisely we wish to defend against, I present the vizAS data merely
as something I found that, at least on the surface, seems like a reasonable
fit for quantifying generic network diversity.

That's what I got.
-V