[tor-relays] Tor is starting without the -f /etc/tor/torrc option

Tor Stuff tor.geheimschreiber at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:05:21 UTC 2015

I am running tor on a new Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS system. I have restarted tor a
couple of times with

  service tor restart

I noticed when I start arm that it is telling me that

  The torrc differs from what tor's using. You can issue sighup to reload

It seems that tor is running with default values and is not reading
/etc/tor/torrc as there is no
  ... -f /etc/tor/torrc
option being used by the running tor when it is displayed with 'ps'.

The 'ps' output for the tor instance is

   /usr/bin/tor --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc
--hush

I had asumed that because I have set DirPort to 80 and ORPort to 443 in
/etc/tor/torrc and can see in the tor log files that those two ports are
reachable from outside, that the running tor was reading /etc/tot/torrc.

Something is amiss with my tor configuration but I don't know what.

Any hints as to where to look would be welcome while I try to RTFM again!

Cheers